A public rally or event will usually include a large number of people assembled in a relatively confined space. Numbers of people can range from the scores to the many thousands. This sense of confinement can become problematic at times, especially if the rally can incite passions and where there is a prominent police presence. Public rallies can get unruly. The city of Seattle famously suffered full-scale riots (“the Battle in Seattle”) in November 1999 that arose from public rallies by social and environmental activists against the World Trade Organization (WTO). In June 2016 at least 10 people were injured in the fights that broke out between a neo-Nazi group and anti-fascist protesters outside the capitol building in Sacramento, Ca. Even political rallies can become violent or have security breaches, as occurred, for example, many times during the 2016 presidential primary season. Security at these types of rallies or events is not only important, but imperative.
OSP can step in and offer a public rally / event the following security solutions:
- pre-rally or event planning and security assessments
- principal or secondary security detail for speakers, activists, etc.
- liaison with public rally or event planners, location management, etc.
- access control and verification of attendees or activists, if so possible
- front of house security at a stadium, building, designated park, etc.
- mobile security guards
- liaison with relevant contractors for the rally / event
- emergency and evacuation planning – interior rally / event
- emergency and evacuation planning – exterior rally / event
- assessment of all means of egress from the rally / event
- emergency service and law enforcement liaison and co-ordination
- patrolling parked vehicles, trucks, etc.
- equipment inventory and oversight
- PA system assessment for viability, sound checking, etc.
- passive crowd control
- state-of- the-art monitoring and GPS imaging through our mobile Command Center
A public rally or event of any kind should never succumb to security breaches, or, worse still, descend into chaos and carnage. Public rallies and events should be able to unfold in a way that is predictable and controlled from a security standpoint, however potentially volatile or controversial the event or speakers. That is why security management is so critical at these rallies and events.
OSP’s commitment to any public rally or event is that we will provide our esteemed clients with security solutions that are customized to suit the exact needs of the rally or event. The safety and security of a rally or event, including speakers, other guests and citizen activists or event attendees is our objective. It is what we do – and we do so with utmost pride and conviction.