There is big money in nightclubs. According to Forbes, the 10 biggest nightclubs in America earned $550-million in 2015, whilst the top 100 nightclubs in the country collectively raked in $1.36-billion. Nightclubs suffered a relative decline in the 1990s and early Noughties, but have sprung back with a vengeance in America’s nightlife. A lot of this growth in nightclubs and revenues, according to Forbes, has to do with the huge popularity of electronic dance music (EDM).
Unfortunately, where there is music and dance there is also a lot of alcohol, drugs and violence. It is no secret that nightclubs can often have huge amounts of cash on a given night – or at least that is the perception. That makes them immensely vulnerable to burglaries, thefts and heists, including the ever-present scourge of organized crime. Ever since Prohibition, even the cleanest of establishments have been under threat from organized crime and criminal gangs. It’s the very nature of the industry, which explains why there have been so many shootouts and violent incidents at nightclubs. That is not to mention the horrific events that occurred at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, FL. in June 2016, which to date is the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
It is for that reason that a nightclub may wish to use OSP, which can offer nightclub owners and management the following:
- a fully integrated security risk assessment for the nightclub
- considerations regarding the size, location and demographics of the nightclub, as well as the usual types of patrons
- security gaps and needs analysis for the nightclub
- access control measures, including operating hours and after hours
- emergency routes and routes of egress from the nightclub
- surveillance / CCTV / motion sensor and other allied capabilities and needs in all areas of the nightclub
- profile of security process at the door (including sidewalk)
- internal security procedures
- security personnel profiling / hiring / vetting
- security-related training for nightclub staff, including part-time workers
- security details relating to DJs, guest bands, etc.
- nightclub lockdown measures for extreme scenarios and events, including shootings, hostage situations, etc.
- policies and procedures regarding narcotics, guns and other illegal items
- policies and procedures regarding problematic or violent patrons, non-patrons and troublemakers
The nightclub industry is one that is prone to violence and crime. The mix of huge amounts of cash, drugs, alcohol and ever-prevalent criminal interference can be a huge security headache for any nightclub owner or manager. These inherent security risks can never be underestimated nor oversimplified. Nightclubs do so at their peril – and the peril of their patrons.
OSP’s philosophy is that we wish to make nightclubs safer and more for all to enjoy. That is why we provide our esteemed clients in the nightclub industry with security solutions that are customer-oriented and customized to suit their nightclub, however big or small. The security of a nightclub and all its staff and patrons is our objective and what drives the service that we provide. This approach and commitment is what OSP stands for. It is what we do – and we do so with pride and conviction.