Warehousing is a hugely important part of the economy. Without warehousing, there is no viable freight industry. It is not surprising that warehouses are subject to robberies, thefts and heists. There are often huge quantities of goods ‘sitting idle’ in storage, with facilities particularly vulnerable at night or during non-operating hours. In October 2012 10 armed men brazenly stormed a Drug Enforcement Agency
(DEA) warehouse in El Paso, Texas and made off with more than $14 billion of various illegal drugs that had been seized by the federal agency from Mexican drug cartels. A Robstown, TX. electronics warehouse had over $20 000 worth of merchandise stolen late one night in April 2013. And a warehouse in Rahway,
N.J. was invaded in May 2016 by a group of gunmen who held the owner and several employees at gunpoint before making off with money and goods. There’s no doubt: warehouses are a considerable security risk.
The services that OSP can offer warehouse owners and management can include:
- a fully integrated security risk assessment for the warehouse
- security gaps and needs analysis for the facility
- considerations regarding the size and location of the warehouse
- assessment of adjacent and nearby road traffic and foot traffic relevant to the warehouse’s security profile
- a local crime profile
- access control measures, both during working hours and after hours
- assessment of warehouse perimeters, including fencing, gates, etc.
- surveillance / CCTV / alarms and allied capabilities
- site lighting survey
- yard security
- assessment of inventory controls
- assessment of standard operating procedures regarding cargo and dispatch
- security personnel profiling / hiring / vetting, especially night watchmen
- security-related training for warehouse staff, and security checks thereof
- on-site investigation procedures for petty security incidents
- security management within the context of the safety management system for the warehouse, especially with regard to material handling
A warehouse, especially a large-scale or remote site, can be a sitting target for burglaries, robberies and heists. ‘Inside jobs’ are also a distinct issue for this industry. These sites are particularly vulnerable to more serious crimes being committed at night or during downtime. That is why a security management system is so critically important for any warehouse.
OSP’s philosophy is that we aim to provide our esteemed clients who own or manage warehouses with security solutions that are customized to suit a specific warehouse. The security of a warehouse and the merchandise and property therein is our principal objective. This approach and commitment is what OSP stands for. It is what we do – which we do with pride and conviction.